Saturday, November 5, 2011

Cinnamon Butternut Squash Soup

I held on as long as I could, but I can no longer pretend.  

Summer is long gone and the cold is officially here.      

So what's a girl to do on a chilly November evening besides watch the leaves fall and the sun set way too early?  Well, in the spirit of embracing fall, you make butternut squash soup of course.  Now doesn't the sound of that just make you want to throw on a sweater and listen to the Carpenter's Christmas album. 

Well, queue Pandora radio and a quick and easy recipe from Crazy Sexy Life and we're in business.  

I started with one butternut squash. Isn't she a beauty?


Scooped out the seeds and set aside (I'll roast the seeds later).


Chopped into cubes.  Note:  The recipe says to peel the squash first. For me, it's easier to leave the peel on and scoop the flesh out with a spoon after it's been cooked.  It's just a personal preference.  Plus, too much peeling hurts my hands.


Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.  Remember:  the smaller you make your cubes, the quicker it'll cook.


Scooped all the flesh out.  Be sure you wait for it to cool so you don't burn your hands.


Put squash in blender.  Oh, poor Oster blender, I know you're on your last leg but you have to hang in there for me.  I don't think the vita-mix fairies are visiting anytime soon so please quit smoking and making all that noise.  Thanks.


Add 1/2 cup water and blend.  You can add more water to get the right consistency, but don't overdo it or you'll have baby food.  Add 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon and sea salt, to taste.  Blend again.  


I transferred to a pot and simmered on the stove.


Garnish with a little paprika and serve.


Find this, and other fabulously healthy recipes, here.

Happy November!
Kim 

4 comments:

  1. That looks good! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO into butternut squash soup right now (with crusty bread) - it's my ultimate comfort food these days - yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to follow your instructions and make butternut squash soup ... first time ever!! Off to the market now going to buy crusty bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made it and I ate it! It was delicious :)

    ReplyDelete