It's a little ironic that I started the month talking about wellness and prevention and then spent half of the month sick. Well...all I can say is I can't imagine what life would be like if I wasn't putting the time and effort into trying to be healthy. My situation is a bit unique; most people aren't on immunosuppressive drugs. I will admit, there are times when it is very frustrating. I can do everything "right" and still end up with an infection that lasts way too long.
The focus today though is back on prevention and now that I almost feel like my "normal" self again, it's time to re-group and move forward. Rest, exercise, eating and drinking a whole food diet - we can't live without it. It's so important to plan for success, especially during the busyness of the holidays.
Here's a bit of my game plan (in no particular order):
* Chop fresh fruits and veggies for quick and easy snacking.
* Pre-package/pre-portion snacks (ie: almonds and dried fruit in snack size ziploc bags).
* Double (or triple) recipes so there is enough to freeze. It's great to have a nutritious meal ready to be warmed up in minutes.
* Cheers to health: Hold the eggnog, juice and blend up those veggies.
* Sleep: I'm guilty (as you can tell by what time I'm writing this post). I need to put sleep higher on my wellness priority list. In fact, sleep deserves a post all on it's own.
* Exercise: I've got a long list of exercises from my physical therapist. This week, we're incorporating a little walking on the elliptical. No offense, "yoga for arthritis" class - I absolutely adore you, but sometimes a girl just needs to break a sweat.
* Pray/Meditate: This sets the stage for all of the above.
What are you doing to stay well this holiday season?