Sunday, November 27, 2011

Planning for Success (again)

It's a little ironic that I started the month talking about wellness and prevention and then spent half of the month sick.  Well...all I can say is I can't imagine what life would be like if I wasn't putting the time and effort into trying to be healthy.  My situation is a bit unique; most people aren't on immunosuppressive drugs.  I will admit, there are times when it is very frustrating.  I can do everything "right" and still end up with an infection that lasts way too long.

The focus today though is back on prevention and now that I almost feel like my "normal" self again, it's time to re-group and move forward.  Rest, exercise, eating and drinking a whole food diet - we can't live without it.   It's so important to plan for success, especially during the busyness of the holidays.

Here's a bit of my game plan (in no particular order):
*  Chop fresh fruits and veggies for quick and easy snacking.
*  Pre-package/pre-portion snacks (ie: almonds and dried fruit in snack size ziploc bags).
*  Double (or triple) recipes so there is enough to freeze.  It's great to have a nutritious meal ready to be warmed up in minutes.
*  Cheers to health:  Hold the eggnog, juice and blend up those veggies.
*  Sleep:  I'm guilty (as you can tell by what time I'm writing this post).  I need to put sleep higher on my wellness priority list.  In fact, sleep deserves a post all on it's own.
*  Exercise:   I've got a long list of exercises from my physical therapist.  This week, we're incorporating a little walking on the elliptical.   No offense, "yoga for arthritis" class - I absolutely adore you, but sometimes a girl just needs to break a sweat.
*  Pray/Meditate:  This sets the stage for all of the above.

What are you doing to stay well this holiday season?

Until tomorrow,
Kim 

No comments:

Post a Comment