Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Vacation - Day 2

I'm not going to downplay it.  Today was great.  Great from beginning to end (Well, except for my baby hitting her face on a stool and getting a big fat lip.  It was my bloodiest moment as a mom.  Not to worry - she's fine and still all smiles.).

Started the morning off with green juice for two.  How romantic.  


I fill a bowl with almonds (about 1/2 cup) and eat it throughout the day.  It's great for snacking and an amazing power food.  


I didn't have any hunger pains and forced myself to have another green juice at about 2:00 p.m. - just because.  

It's actually really great that my husband is doing this along with me.  If it was just me, I'd probably just graze and not put too much effort into it.  Because I'm cooking for two, it motivates me to find and cook delicious new meals.  

Our tomatoes are slowly but surely ripening.  These cherry tomatoes are so sweet you can eat them like grapes.  I picked these out of the garden today and knew I wanted to use them in our dinner.  


Add some avocado, lime and cilantro...


Black bean and corn salsa


Voila!  A gluten-free, vegan burrito that will make your mouth water.




Recipe:  
*  Gluten-free Brown Rice Tortilla (place tortilla in a steamer basket and steam for 30 seconds first - this will make the tortilla moist and avoid cracking)
*  Brown Rice
*  Black Bean Corn Salsa:  1/2 can organic black beans, rinsed; 1 cup corn (I boiled 2 husks of corn for 10 minutes, let cool, then cut off the kernels.  You can do frozen or canned corn as well.); juice of 1 lime; Kosher salt, to taste; cilantro, chopped.  Mix.  
*  Avocado, sliced
*  Tomatoes
*  Garnish with more cilantro and lime

Enjoy!  
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thoughts for the day:
1.  So much of what we do is based on what's in our "default drawer".  We go to the same restaurants, cook the same meals, shop for the same groceries.  We do it because it's what we're used to, what we're comfortable with.  I don't want to get rid of my default drawer; I just want to add lots more stuff to it.  
2.  Sometimes you have to force yourself into something new and different, but once you're there, it's quite amazing.  
3.  I'm having fun and feeling great.  

Until tomorrow, 
Kim 


3 comments:

  1. Awesome, looks good!! Hang in there:)
    love,
    rayna

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing great. Very creative and delicious choices. Your husband is awesome. Keep having fun.

    ReplyDelete