Friday, September 23, 2011

Locks of Love

A few weeks ago I was thinking about how I wanted to celebrate my birthday.  Not what kind of dinner I wanted or what kind of gifts I hoped for - I'm talking about celebrating, honoring, acknowledging my place in this world.  It didn't take long for me to come up with an answer (and if you've been reading my blog you'd know that this whole birthday thing is new to me).  In celebration of my birthday I decided to chop my hair off and donate it to Locks of Love.  For those of you who know me, you know that I've had long hair all my life (except for once in college - bad move).  It may seem silly but hair can turn into a sort of security blanket.  It becomes part of your identity.  I was a little nervous about how I would look but I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to do it.

You see, there were moments earlier this year when I thought I might lose my hair to cancer. Thankfully, that was not the case.  I didn't lose my hair, but I did gain a new perspective on life.  Yup, there was no question - I wanted to give a part of myself to help someone in the midst of their fight.  My life isn't perfect.  I'm not completely pain free, but I'm getting stronger and living the best life I know how. This year, I just wanted to be thankful - and give.  And really, we always have something to give - sometimes it's money, sometimes it's time and energy, sometimes it's hair.

Locks of Love is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping children who suffer from hair loss due to a variety of diseases.  They create hairpieces which in turn create self-esteem, confidence and normalcy in children's lives.  It is an amazing program and I am so glad I was able to give.  Happy Birthday to us all!

Locks of Love,
Kim 


**  Thank you, LyAnn, for a great cut. What a gift!