Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Beautiful Battle

Sometimes there just aren't words.

How do you string together letters to form words, to form sentences, to form thoughts that dance between life and death?  

Literally

Death.  

Yesterday, a friend lost her 14 year long battle with cancer.  I say lost only because I know she would have chosen to stay.  Chosen to watch her daughters graduate from college, get married, have children.  She would have chosen to see more of the world, to laugh with friends, sing, dance, ring in another new year.  She would have chosen to decorate another Christmas tree, plant a new bed of flowers, celebrate another birthday - or two, or five, or fifty.

She would have chosen

Life.

But here we are.  Here I am.  Without her.

My heart is heavy as I think about her family, her friends, the people that love her that are left behind.  I let that heaviness seep in - into the crevices of my heart, mind and soul.  It makes me hug my girls a little bit harder, for a little bit longer.  It makes me stop what I'm doing and look them in the eye.  It makes me pay attention - to the sound of my breath, the tone of his voice, the light in their eyes. It makes me unafraid to chase after wild and crazy dreams because what is there to lose. It makes me want to love better and bigger.  It makes me thankful for

every

single

minute

of my life.


Let that seep in.  Then live - and love - every minute of yours.

Goodbye, friend.  I will miss you.


Love and Peace,
Kim 

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE how YOU are able to share what is on your heart in beautifully written words; words always wrapped in a beautiful message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete