Thursday, July 7, 2011

When in Doubt... Dinner in a Bowl

Today was one of those days where I looked up at the clock and it was 5:30 p.m.  Where did the day go? Anyway, I didn't exactly have dinner planned so this is the perfect time to introduce my go-to dinners (aka:  dinner in a bowl).  They are great because they're quick, easy, delicious and relatively cheap.  

Tonight I started with some quinoa at the bottom (usually I use brown rice but quinoa takes 20 minutes to cook vs. 50 minutes for brown rice).  I topped the quinoa with sliced carrots, edamame, shredded cheese, avocado and strips of roasted (Korean) seaweed.  So good!  It sort of tastes like a California Roll in a bowl.  

If you don't have the time or desire to make your own dressing, here are two great options.

Open Nature's Asian Sesame Ginger dressing is perfect for this bowl.  I bought this one at Safeway.


If you live near a Trader Joe's (sorry Hawaii friends and family) the Sesame Soy Ginger Vinaigrette is a must have in your refrigerator.


The best part about this dinner is you can get creative.  If you don't have carrots, use tomatoes.  If you don't have edamame, use black beans or azuki beans.  Need more substance?  Add some fish or grilled chicken.  I love recipes where you don't have to measure or stick to certain ingredients.  Just have fun with it.


Eat well!
Kim 

1 comment:

  1. My sister calls me a true Chinaman because I love to eat everything in a bowl! ha. This reminds me of the Unagi Wasabi Bowl I would get at Pacific Catch in Marin County. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete