Thursday, July 28, 2011

Beet Quinoa Salad

I chose this week's recipe based on what I pulled out of the garden.  It was a toss up between carrots and beets.  The beets won.  If you're ready to stop reading, hold on.  Give me a chance.  


Beets are a power food:
- Sweet but low in calories
- High in fiber
- High in iron
- Cancer fighting beta-carotene 
- Folic Acid

Today's recipe comes from Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Life website.  You can find the Beet Quinoa Salad recipe here. If you haven't heard of Kris Carr, you're missing out.  She is the incredible light behind Crazy Sexy Diet and a whole new health revolution.  Her story is amazing - diagnosed with an incurable cancer 8 years ago, she went on a healing mission.  She still has cancer but she is thriving and changing people's lives, one green juice at a time.  

Whenever I cook beets, I always roast (bake) them in the oven.   I cook them at 375 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour (depending on the size).  You know they're ready when you can pierce them easily with a fork.  
Remove the beet tops, clean the beets and place in a piece of foil (this keeps things clean) and drizzle with a little olive oil.  



This salad is power packed with the incredible nutrients of the beets and the quinoa.


Mmmmmm!  A really yummy, refreshing summer salad.  A great change from your typical green salad.  I think this would be perfect with some fish as the salad alone wasn't that filling.  

Let me know if you try it!   

Happy Power Cooking, 
Kim 

1 comment: